Sunday, December 7, 2014

Torthaí

Torthaí - Results
I had my MRI many weeks ago now but it took a while to get the results.  Here they are:  
 
Moderately abnormal left ventricular dilation with moderately abnormal regional/global systolic function.
No evidence of left ventricular non-compaction.
No evidence of late gadolinium enhancement consistent with absence of scar/fibrosis.
Moderately abnormal mitral regurgitation.
 
Those are the words I see when I open my patient report up online.  I have mixed feelings.  Happy that I do not show any signs of non-compaction.  Sad that I have abnormalities.  Curious what this all means for me and my kids, anxious to know the answers….
There are no answers.  Not right now.  This will be a lifetime of checks.  MRIs.  Echocardiograms.  Medications.  Blood work.  Doctors.  Probably a valve surgery sometime in my distant future.  But that’s all ok with me.  I get to LIVE.  I am lucky and get to know about these things before I am surprised by an ‘incident’.  I get to know BEFORE I need something critically.    
 
Right now my priority is getting my blood pressure under control.  I have had high BP since my first pregnancy.  High BP is the #1 cause for heart failure even before we consider in all of my other factors.  So for right now we keep mixing medication cocktails and hope we find one that works.
We found out some great news about my Dad recently.  With the right combo of meds and lifestyle changes, his heart function had increased to 30%.  His next test will be the day after Christmas and we are hoping for another increase.  If not, he will have the defibrillator surgery.  
 
But we both keep living life.  I am anxiously awaiting my sister to begin her testing.  I love her as much as I love anyone else in this world and my worries now lie with her and making sure she will be along this lifetime ride of testing and blood work and doctors, opposed to something more serious that requires immediate attention. 
 
We have heart conditions.  We are ok.  Modern medicine is amazing.  We are working with an amazing team of doctors and I am confident in our care.  My Dads', mine, my sisters and someday, my children.
Xoxo

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment